Houghton Village Hall is a completely independent Charitable Trust (Number 521432). It is run by its Trustees solely to provide a facility for local people to enjoy social, recreational and educational activities in line with the wishes of those who gave the land and the building to the village. We are looking forward to celebrating our centenary in 2021.
Management Committee and Trustees.
The Village Hall Committee has 24 members who are all trustees of the charity. The majority are nominated by organisations in the village with up to three others co-opted. Seven ‘officers’ are elected at our Annual General Meeting in January. As ‘Managing Trustees’ of the charity the committee has sole responsibility for the day-to-day running of its affairs and finances. Full committee meetings are generally held bi-monthly, with only the officers meeting in the intervening months.
Elected Officers for 2021
Chair Deb Tull
Vice Chair Vacant
Secretary Barbara Scase
Treasurer Matt Scase
Maintenance Officer Anthony Evill
Bookings Secretary Ian Hill
Publicity Officer Andy Farren
The land on which the hall stands was given to the village by Miss Charlotte Smith in 1920. The Village Hall was then built by Mr J T Forsell in 1921 in memory of his son who died in the 1st World War.
Two street names in the village – Forsell’s End and Charlotte’s Walk – also recognise the generosity of the two benefactors.There have been a number of extensions and improvements over the years to create the building seen today. An extensive programme of modernisation and refurbishment has been in progress for the past three years.
Click here for more information about Alan Forsell: alan-richard-forsell-(1894-1915)